DUI out of state

Question: I lived outside of California, but got convicted of a DUI in Los Angeles, CA and they said my license is suspended. Is my out of state license suspended?
Answer: in regards to a license suspension, there are a few states that are not part of the DMV compact and don’t share records. So depending on the state of your license, a CA drivers license suspension may (likely) or may not be effected. Regardless, even if your license is in a state that is not a “compact” state, you would not be allowed to drive in CA where you received the DUI if there is a license suspension in effect in CA. If you live out of state, contact the CA DMV about a form 1650 waiver.
Phil Hache
DUI & Criminal Defense Lawyer